We’re looking for a great senior Rails developer to join our team and become a Tech Lead!
Our mission at TWG is to put great software in the hands of willing innovators – that’s how we help change the world. We’re looking for a great senior Rails developer to join our team of designers, coders and business thinkers to become a Tech Lead!
As an application developer you’re fully involved in all aspects of software design, development, testing and deployment. Our team of thirty works with a refreshing mix of tech start-ups, established media companies and recognized business brands to craft innovative and powerful web based software.
As a Tech Lead, you ‘own the code’; you drive the architecture, review the code commits, you mentor junior developers, and guide the project team on all technical aspects of a project, working with the product managers to determine the best way to create a software solution, to define and manage scope, and ultimately to deliver rock solid, well tested software that drives business value.
We’re constantly looking to push the envelope with new technologies –– from front end responsive layouts, to location-based systems, automated A/B testing, cloud service integration, high volume distributed applications, route plotting and mapping, and more. If you’re passionate about web software development, come join our team.
We are looking for someone who:
- Is a natural tinkerer who is self-motivated to see how we can apply new technologies to real life problems.
- Can manage their time well.
- Is interested in Agile development and Lean business principles – someone who learns from experience and like to improve their process and practices.
- Is willing to wear multiple hats and get involved in a lot of different technical and business aspects.
- Is self-directed. We like smart innovators who can create vision and connect the dots.
- Likes to collaborate within a group.
- Likes to teach or speak to small groups about technology and its application in life and business.
- Enjoys delicious coffee during the day and socializing over beverages in the evening.
- Minimum three years of web application development experience with Rails environments
Nice to have:
- Has experience leading small teams and projects
- Can present their own web application
- Interested in mobile development
- Loves Git
About The Perks
- Competitive salary
- Funding for your own computer purchase
- Full health benefits starting after 3 months
- A new phone and paid contract after 6 months
- Healthy snacks and delicious coffee
- A dog-friendly office in Toronto’s downtown core
- Awesome workmates
- All the Nutella you can eat
Please Score Yourself:
Think we might be the team for you? Run through this scoring sheet and check out what your score means below to see if we’d be a good fit.
Score +2 if you have excellent HTML and css skills, and add a bonus point if you can show us something significant that you coded in HTML5.
Score + 3 if you have experience programming iOS, Android, or Blackberry (gasp) applications
Score + 1 if you know what OOP is
Score +2 if you write tests (UnitTest, RSpec, or some other test driven framework)
Score -2 if you do not routinely use a testing framework.
Score +1 if you use source control extensively. Bonus +1 if you use git.
Score +2 for being very comfortable working in an *nix / linux environment.
Score +2 for each of the following database platforms that you have used in a live production environment: mySQL, Postgres, Redis, Mongo
Score +2 if you have created an API for a production environment.
Score +2 if you have used Chef or Puppet or other deployment automation tools.
Score – 5 if you’ve only used ftp to deploy applications.
Score +1 if you ride a bike.
Score +1 if you play an instrument.
Score +1 if you speak another language.
Score +1 if you paint, draw, sculpt, and build things
Score +1 if you keep a blog
Score +1 if you enjoy teaching
So what do you score?
If you score over 22: You could be a great web application developer. Send your score breakdown to email@example.com and tell us a bit about yourself, what you’ve worked on, what kinds of problems you like to solve. We’ll follow up and arrange a time to chat.
If over 28: You could be a great Senior developer and Tech Lead with our amazing team of web and mobile developers. Send your score breakdown to firstname.lastname@example.org and tell us all about yourself, what you’ve worked on, what kinds of problems you like to solve, your favourite movies, books, and Karaoke selections. We’ll follow up and arrange a time to meet over lunch.
If over 34: Come in and talk with us about what you’d like to work on, and just for that, we’ll give you a nice bottle of wine.
More about TWG
TWG is a web and mobile agency for designers, coders, thinkers and friends. Each day we pour all of our creative energy into what we love, and that makes getting out of bed in the morning the easiest decision we make all day.
We’ve got a great team, and environment down here on Adelaide St. and we get the opportunity to work with Startups, on our own software product – PostageApp, as well as recognized brands like Globe and Mail, CBC, Freshbooks, and RIM. We even have bi-annual work retreats, monthly community events, tasty coffee and tea.
For some, working at TWG will be a career, for others, it will be a stepping stone on the way to even greater things. And we’re fine with that, because we know that everyone’s path is a little bit different. In fact TWG’s Big Hairy Audacious Goal is to be the best software company in the world to learn, work and grow at. We love our work, and that makes it fun to create incredible web and mobile experiences for our clients, partners and community.
We look forward to hearing from you.